This is one of those “pantry recipes” – aka a recipe that I just threw together from whatever I had in my pantry and fridge. It’s super easy and you’ll probably have most of these ingredients on hand anyway. It’s great for a quick weeknight meal when you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen!
Chicken, Rice, and Black Bean Bake
4 cups brown rice, uncooked
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (16-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. Mexican seasoning blend, plus more for chicken
1 tsp. dried oregano
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
Shredded Cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. In a 13×9 inch glass casserole dish, stir together rice, chicken broth, black beans, 1 Tbsp. Mexican seasoning blend, and oregano.
3. Sprinkle chicken all over with Mexican seasoning blend. Place chicken over rice mixture in casserole dish. Top chicken with salsa and shredded cheese. Cover casserole dish with foil.
4. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and test to see if liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through. If not, cook for 10-15 minutes more. Top servings with sour cream.
Change it up:
- Use taco seasoning instead of a Mexican-seasoning blend.
- Use salsa verde instead of regular salsa and Monterey Jack cheese instead of Cheddar or Mexican-blend.
- Top servings with avocado and fresh cilantro.