I love stir-frys. They are one of the easiest things you can make — you just throw it all in the wok/skillet with some oil, stir it all up until cooked, and boom, you’re done. And the combinations of stir-frys are endless. Asian stir-frys are typical, but you can also make some pretty delicious vegetarian and superfood stir-frys.
My little sister is visiting for the week, and being 16, she can be a little picky about her food. But she loves Asian food and she loves stir-frys, so making a chicken stir-fry for her was a no-brainer. This Sweet Chili Chicken Stir-Fry was delicious. It had just the right amount of spice to it and got the stamp of approval from the picky eater.
I marinated the chicken for 30 minutes in a sweet chili marinade I threw together from pretty much all of my Asian sauces.
Then I sautéed some onions until translucent…
added the chicken…
and cooked it until the chicken was cooked through and onions were soft.
At this point, I added the veggies. I used a bag of pre-chopped stir-fry vegetables because, hello, convenience, but you can definitely take the time to chop your own veggies and add any of your favorites.
Cook the veggies until soft. Serve stir-fry over hot cooked rice with extra soy sauce and sweet chili sauce and enjoy!
This recipe makes enough for 3-4 servings. Keep in mind that you don’t have to be exact with your measurements in stir-frying. Adjust the marinade/sauces and vegetables to your taste preference.
Sweet Chili Chicken Stir-Fry
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
12 oz. vegetable stir fry mix
1/2 medium onion, sliced
Oil for frying (Vegetable or sesame)
Low-sodium soy sauce (for flavoring)
Hot cooked rice
1. Stir together all ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl. Place cubed chicken in a Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag and shake to distribute marinade evenly. Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
2. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to become translucent.
3. Add chicken with marinade to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Onions should be soft and translucent at this point.
4. When chicken is fully cooked, add vegetables. You will probably need to add some more oil at this point. Cook until soft and cooked through. Drizzle soy sauce over stir-fry to your taste preference.
5. Serve stir-fry over hot cooked rice with additional soy sauce and sweet chili sauce.